Report Generator won't order domains by expiry date?

Discuss our WHMCS modules and everything associated with them.

Report Generator won't order domains by expiry date?

Postby itomic » 14th May 2014, 9:18 am

I'm an old/experienced tech, but just trying out the Report Generator module for the first time.

It's probably me, but I can't get Report Generator to list out the tbldomains ordered by expiry date. I can get it to list out domains, no problem - it just won't behave on the expiredate column.

Any ideas?? Must be me! Surely not a bug on such a simple operation?
itomic

Re: Report Generator won't order domains by expiry date?

Postby Piotr » 14th May 2014, 9:58 am

Hello,

It will be quite difficult to find out what's the reason of the problem.
I expect here a problem with configuration of Order By but it can be something else.

If my answer didn't help you even a little bit :) then please open a support ticket and share with us your WHMCS admin area details and FTP details. We will verify this.

Link to our support.
Piotr Dołęga
ModulesGarden CMO
Site Admin
ModulesGarden - High-End WHMCS Modules & Software Developer Outsourcing
Piotr
Site Admin

Postby itomic » 14th May 2014, 11:43 am

Thanks for your reply.

I've got a simple suggestion which I think would help enormously with debugging failed attempts to generate reports: allow a view of the db query or queries that have built for each report.

In my case, I'd could read it no problem, and I could almost certainly help myself.

If someone's not familiar with syntax, then my idea would allow them to cut and paste it to others (e.g. this support forum) for help.

Good idea?
itomic

Postby itomic » 14th May 2014, 12:42 pm

But I'll try to describe anyhow, because it's so simple...

1. I create a new report from scratch.
2. Under the Main Settings tab:
i. From Table - Domains table (tblsdomains)
ii. Columns to Select: ID, expirydate, domain
3. Under the "Order "Order & Limits" tab"
i. Order By - tbldomains.expirydate Descending

And that's it!

And yet when I view the list of Domains, the expirydate column is most definitely NOT in date order - descending or ascending. Actually there's no obvious order at all: ID, domain, or expirydate.

Very weirdly, if from the "Main Settings" tab I change the Date Field from the default value "date" to "tbldomains.expirydate" and re-run the report, then where previously the list was 500+ domains long, it's reduced down to just 2. Que?! :-)

?

Thx. :-)
itomic

Postby itomic » 14th May 2014, 1:22 pm

I just created another v. basic report: a list of clients. Then I went to sort by companyname - but no effect. So clearly I'm completely missing something about how ordering works... or there's an error in the module.... or an error in the data.... or I'm very dyslexic :-)
itomic

Postby Piotr » 15th May 2014, 10:33 am

We are not able to reproduce the problem on our end. If possible, please create a ticket and we will check this in your environment.

However I passed your post directly to our Development Team. We will release version 1.5 of the module in the next week and you can be sure that this will be improved, and creating reports won't be such raw and problematic anymore. I can say that module will have entirely new soul :)
Piotr Dołęga
ModulesGarden CMO
Site Admin
ModulesGarden - High-End WHMCS Modules & Software Developer Outsourcing
Piotr
Site Admin

Postby itomic » 15th May 2014, 12:05 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, rather than try to debug this, I'll be an eager early-adopter of Report Generator 1.5.
itomic

Return to WHMCS Modules